Import from PayPal Express
In this article, you will be learning about connecting your PayPal Express account to Shopify in order to migrate customers and their payment methods info inside Shopify. Once this process is completed, you will then be able to create and manage subscriptions for these customers inside the Loop Subscription app.
Prerequisites for customer migration from PayPal Express
- You must have an active PayPal Express account having customer payment methods which needs to be migrated.
- You would need to setup and enable PayPal Express checkout (with same account credentials you are transferring from) on your Shopify store.
Importing customer data in Shopify
Before proceeding to migrate customer payment methods from PayPal Express, you can import the customer basic data like name, email, and addresses using Shopify's native import tool available on the customer's page in your Shopify account.
This step can be skipped if
- The customers are already present in Shopify and only if the payment methods info need to be migrated.
- Or if the addresses info is not available to be imported. Customer name and email are imported while using the Loop customer migration tool.
Loop Customer Migration Utility
To streamline the migration process and easier to understand, we have made a customer migration utility inside the Loop app. Detailed instructions have been provided below to help you with the migration process.
Accessing the customer migration utility
It can be accessed by going to Settings > Migrate Customers and Payment Methods.
Select Payment Provider
Migration support is currently available for Stripe, PayPal Express and Authorize.net. Select PayPal Express from the dropdown.
Enabling PayPal Express on your Shopify store
- Configure PayPal Express payment gateway for your store.
- Create at least one selling plan.
Export customer data from PayPal Express
Once you have connected your PayPal Express account to Shopify, you'll need to export your customer and payments data from PayPal Express.
Step 3: Select Transaction type, Date range and choose CSV date format. Click on the Create Report button.
Using the migration utility
You would have to keep the exported PayPal transactions file in a separate tab in order to paste the PayPal billing agreement ID
This is great but I have more than 100 customers to migrate.
Don't worry if you have a long list of customers to be migrated. You can connect with our support team to assist you with the migration process. You just need to send us the exported PayPal Express transactions data CSV file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the required fields (first name, last name, email, PayPal billing agreement ID) and we will automatically import and update the customers with PayPal Express payment info.